Skip to main content
University of Texas University of Texas Libraries

Marine Science

About

Key code entry only.

Visitors, please call in advance to access the library.

STAFF

MSI Directory

Liz DeHart, STEM Liaison Librarian for Marine Science
l.dehart@austin.utexas.edu
(361) 749-3095

Marg Larsen, Office Assistant
m.larsen@austin.utexas.edu
(361) 749-3094

For Information in Austin:

UT Austin Electronic Directory

Janelle Hedstrom, Education Librarian
Team Lead for Social Sciences and STEM Engagement Team
University of Texas at Austin
jhedstrom@austin.utexas.edu

Special Funds from the Marine Science Advisory Council

This endowment was established within the Marine Science Institute to support the purchase of library materials and equipment, the maintenance of the collection, and special projects.

Mary Anderson Abell Marine Science Library Endowment

This endowment was established by Mr. and Mrs. Ben Anderson in honor of their daughter, Mary Anderson Abell, a graduate of The University of Texas at Austin and a member of the Marine Science Institute Advisory Council. Investment proceeds from this endowment are used to support the acquisition of books, periodicals, and other research materials. Proceeds also support the purchase and maintenance of equipment within the Library.

 

Edmund J. Fleming, Jr. Marine Science Institute Library Endowment

This endowment was established by Patricia Fleming and her sons Christopher Carothers and Michael Fleming in honor of Edmund J. Fleming, Jr., a member of the Marine Science Advisory Council. Proceeds from the endowment will be used to purchase books for the Marine Science Library. The bookplate features the image of a snook, a large and vigorous sport and food fish found in Texas coastal waters.

Christopher P. Carothers and Michael M. Fleming Marine Science Institute Library Endowment

This endowment was established by Patricia Fleming in honor of her two sons Christopher Carothers and Michael Fleming. Investment proceeds from the endowment will be used to support the acquisition of books, periodicals, and other research materials in the Marine Science Library.

Ruth Grundy Library Endowment

Established in 2004, the endowment was given in memory of Ruth Grundy, long-time librarian at the University of Texas Marine Science Institute. Contributors to the endowment include, the Doyle Grundy family, Ruth's many friends and colleagues, and the Marine Science Advisory Council. Investment proceeds from this endowment are used to assist in the publication of the Marine Science Institute Journal "Contributions in Marine Science*," and for the purchase of books, scientific journal subscriptions, or other materials needed for the library as determined by the Marine Science Institute's librarian in consultation with the Director of the Institute.

 

* Contributions in Marine Science ceased publication in 2009.

Dates of Service

Director

Acting Director

1941-49 Elmer J. Lund  
1949-54   Gordon Gunter
1954-55 Gordon Gunter  
1955-56   Henry Hildebrand
1956-63 Howard T. Odum  
1963-65   Patrick L. Parker
1965-70 Donald E. Wohlschlag  
1970-71   Patrick L. Parker
1971-72 Carl H. Oppenheimer  
1973-74   Neal E. Armstrong
1974-76 Patrick L. Parker  
1975-78 Creighton Burk *  
1977-78 Oswald A. Roels  
1978   Peter Flawn *
1978-79   R. Keith Arnold *
1979-82 J. Robert Moore *  
1982-84   Robert Boyer *
    Gerhard Fonken *
    Richard Starr *
1984-93 Robert S. Jones  
1993-96   Terry E. Whitledge
1996-2004 Wayne S. Gardner  
2004-2011 Lee A. Fuiman  
2011-2012  

W. Arthur "Skip" Porter

2012-2013  

G. Joan Holt

2013- present

Robert W. Dickey

 

     

Located in Austin--supervised facilities at Port Aransas and Galveston during their tenure.

Information for the Marine Science Institute:

The Marine Science Institute has gone through several name changes throughout the years.

•1941: formally established as the Institute of Marine Science

•1968: changed name to Marine Science Institute at Port Aransas

•1975: became Port Aransas Marine Laboratory, was joined with Galveston Geophysical Laboratory and placed under an umbrella organization called the Marine Science Institute. Both laboratories were affiliated with the Dept. of Marine Studies at the main UT Austin campus

•1981: Institute for Geophysics was established and incorporated Galveston Geophysical Lab. Port Aransas facility once again became the sole location of the University's Marine Science Institute.

Loading ...

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic License.