For careful, comprehensive subject searching, patent examiners emphasize searching by patent classification. That is:
Here is a video on classification searching in Espacenet from the Open Source Patent Analytics Project.
The Cooperative Patent Classification (CPC) System is the patent classification system used in Europe, the U.S., and in various other parts of the world. In classification searching, it is your job to match your area of interest to the right subject classification(s). Two approaches are to:
At the CPC tables you may:
1. For example, we can search "computer mouse" to find where that fits in the CPC:
2. Looks as though we will want to consider the broad category of G06F3/00:
3. To see the patents assigned to the classification we:
4. Notice that clicking in the box fills in a a search form to the right.
5. Click on to see the list of patent documents assigned to the classification and listed in the Espacenet database.
6. "Finding the patents" for this classification gives a set of more than 440 documents. It's a lot to consider.
7. Finally, we will consider the goal of our project and plan our work:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic License.