For careful, comprehensive subject searching, patent examiners emphasize searching by patent classification. That is:
The Cooperative Patent Classification (CPC) System is the patent classification system used in Europe, the U.S., and in various other parts of the world. In classification searching, it is your job to match your area of interest to the right subject classification(s). Two approaches are to:
At the CPC tables you may:
1. For example, we can search "computer mouse" to find where that fits in the CPC:
2. Looks as though we will want to consider the broad category of G06F3/00:
3. To see the patents assigned to the classification we:
4. The selected classification will fill in the "Selected classifications" box (to the left on the page).
5. "Finding the patents" for this classification gives a set of at least 488 documents. It's a lot to consider.
6. Finally, we will consider the goal of our project and plan our work:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic License.